[ale] car audio mp3 player (how to make disks)

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 19 12:25:42 EDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 11:38:11PM -0700, Steven A. DuChene wrote:
> The sound unit in my car is a fairly recent unit that is supposed to not only be able
> to play regular CDs but is also supposed to be able to play MP3 audio disks. The
> problem is I have not been able to verify how to make these. Is it just a matter
> of writing a directory full of MP3 files to a CD as if I was just making a data disk
> or is there some special directory layout I need to follow?
>
> My home DVD player (RCA unit) is also supposed to be able to play MP3 disks
> as well but again I am unfamilair with exactly what the layout and format these
> "MP3 disks" are supposed to take.
>
> Any suggestions from this group?

I have two different units in two of my vehicles. I also have a couple of
personal players.

Standard ISO 9660 data disk with 8.3 file names works fine.

My Sony unit recognizes directories as albums and has skip album buttons.

My cheap unit treats it has a single 157 song disk ignoring directories.

On my Sony I have a strange issue right now where a rewritten CD/RW plays
screwed up. I may actually have to completely blank the disk to get it to
work right.

Hope this helps,

BAJ