[ale] Comcast: can get out but not in

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 17 18:41:30 EDT 2006

I am remotely located from my place in Atl but I still have a server or two
turned on there and connecting via Comcast. Over the past couple of days
I have not been able to get into those servers. I had a non-technical friend
go over and look at them while I guided her over the phone. Turns out she
can get out (nslookup works fine) but I am not able to get in either on port
80 (apache) or port 22 (ssh). I also had her try starting an sshd process on
a high port but that had no effect either. I have tried this with my firewall
rules enabled and disabled but still no luck. This is a firewall server running
SuSE that is directly connected to the network port on the cable modem.

Does anyone else have any weirdness going on with comcast inbound connections?