[ale] Any suggestions for cost effective computing.

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 14:59:50 EDT 2006

You might also want to check sub300.com - I've used them a couple times,
though I've blitzed the default Linspire install first.

WMM

On 9/12/06, Byron A Jeff <byron at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> I'll respond to everything all together...
>
> >-------------------------
> >From: KingBahamut <gwosbahamut at gmail.com>
> >
> >Koala - http://system76.com
> >-------------------------
>
> $500 is too costly.
>
> >----------------------------
> >$500. Too costly.
> >
> >Used iMac running OSX 10.3
> >---------------------------
>
> An idea I actually considered when I saw Surplus Computers selling iMacs
> for
> $49 and $99. It turns out they was bastards with souped up MB. The reports
> I read were that they were dogs and to avoid at all cost.
>
> I actually have a Mac 6400 PowerPC that I bought off a table at a school
> fair
> for $20. I got a VGA adapter. However it doesn't have a ADB
> keyboard/mouse.
> Probably too old and slow to do anything effective.
>
> The other issue is that since I'm way more up to speed on Linux than OSX
> I'd prefer to have a Linux box. I'll be the system manager.
>
> ------------------------------
> >From: Magical Floppy Man <fd0man at gmail.com>
> >If Flash is the only requirement, then all you need to do is use a
> >32-bit browser on the 64-bit system.  There are a couple of ways to do
> >this; under Ubuntu (and probably Debian) you can setup a 32-bit chroot
> >environment where you can run "firefox32" that runs a firefox out of the
> >32-bit chroot environment, and shares the home directory.  All you have
> >to do, then, is change the desktop links that run Firefox.
> >
> >http://process-of-elimination.net/wiki/Ubuntu_32bit_CHROOT_for_AMD64
> >works, though IIRC, I had to do some trial-and-error with it when I used
> >that setup.
> ------------------------------
>
> Flash isn't the only requirement, but a critical one. Truth of the matter
> I'm
> probably going to have to explore running the Windows version of Firefox
> with Wine along with the Flash plugin. It's just terrible that Adobe is
> being so insistant to doing Linux development in a Cathedral. They refuse
> to release an alpha of their current Linux Flash Player, and won't be
> releasing a beat for another 3-4 months.
>
> ------------------------------
> >From: "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
> >
> >Get the 64-bit system and use 32 bit OS.=20
> >
> >Or use the 64-bit OS but get the 32-bit Firefox. It works just fine.
> -----------------------------
> I somehow apt-get upgraded my Debian Sarge to AMD64. That's when my own
> Flash troubles started. I real about the chrooted 32 bit environment. It
> seems almost as complicated as the Wine/Windows Firefox/Flash solution
> which will get me Flash 9.
>
> This isn't my machine, and truthfully it really isn't for my MiL. My kids
> will be the primary users and that's why Flash is high up on the list.

> >From: Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net>

> [...]

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2