[ale] Any suggestions for cost effective computing.

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 11 11:29:25 EDT 2006

I'm in the process of setting up a machine for my mother-in-law. Normally
I'd wait for a Fry's special and buy. But I was hunting around Pricewatch.com
and noticed that several vendors sell MB/CPU/memory combos in the $100-$125
ballpark.

One problem when I last upgraded was purchasing a AMD64 3000+ on a MB. Works
fine. But because of the 64 bit processor, I find I can't get any flash
functionality at all under my AMD64 upgraded Debian Sarge.

So I'm trying to find a cost effective balance. Something that's 32 bit, so
flash will work (and Adobe has no plans for Flash 64 on anything other than
32 bit Linux for now), but will function OK for the next couple of years.

Any suggestions?

BAJ