[ale] Recommended public DNS server

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Sep 10 23:11:41 EDT 2006

On Saturday 09 September 2006 23:38, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> aaron wrote:
> > My Comcast service went out briefly Friday night.
> >  Upon investigating, I was able to confirm that I still had
> > connectivity with ping to a known IP number,
> > but the problem was that my assigned DNS servers
> > were down.

> > The incident made me realized that it would be handy to have
> > some fallback [name server] IP numbers to plug in, so I'm looking for
> > recommendations on public DNS service (or commercial DNS servers
> > who don't mind occasional guests).
>
> I gave up on comcast DNS a few years back and now use these
> DNS servers which have much better timings:

Thanks to all for the DNS IP addresses!

Jim Popovitch's numbers couldn't be much easier to remember,
but I got curious as to whom I would need to thank for their
courtesy:

> 4.2.2.1
(also suggested by Mike Harrison)
NS1.THEPROVIDER.COM
   Server Name: NS1.THEPROVIDER.COM
   IP Address: 4.2.2.1
   Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
   Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
   Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
--
-- "THE PROVIDER"... sounds OMINOUS...
...like it's related to the bizarre British Sci-Fi series starring

> 4.2.2.2
> 4.2.2.3
NS1.ATLANTANEWERANAMESERVER.COM
NS2.ATLANTANEWERANAMESERVER.COM
Domain Name: ATLANTANEWERANAMESERVER.COM
Registrant:
    Atlanta New Era Technology
    3150 Highway 278 #101
    Covington
    Georgia,30014 US
-- well, at least they're visible and local.

> 4.2.2.4
   Server Name: NS.ZOTV.COM
   IP Address: 4.2.2.4
   Registrar: BULKREGISTER, LLC.
   Whois Server: whois.bulkregister.com
   Referral URL: http://www.bulkregister.com
-- Again, no success googling up more info on the ZOTV name.

On the other hand, considering Jim Kinney's suggestions, Emory
is right next door and I'm sure they won't mind a friendly neighbor
being an occasional guest on their DNS servers. Their numbers are
almost as easy to remember as well:
170.140.1.1
170.140.2.1

Thanks again!