[ale] Unicode character entry in Edgy (Was: Re: Ubuntu Edgy? Anyone?)

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 15:16:20 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 14:12 -0400, Jason Day wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:24:27PM -0400, fd0man??????The Magical Floppy Man wrote:
> > Somehow, it is just not enough that I can type things like ? and ? and ?
> > and ? on my international keyboard... :-P.  No, seriously, though,
> > having the "proper quotes" and the em dash, and pi, are entirely worth
> > it.  I just do not seem to know how to get that behavior back, though...
>
> I wasn't going to say anything about this, but since there's a thread
> going I figured I would throw my 2 cents in.  Quite frankly, all your
> "proper quotes" and other non-ASCII characters are not only NOT
> "entirely worth it" to me, but are in fact quite a pain.  Maybe I'm a
> dinosaur, but I mostly read mail in an ssh screen session using mutt,
> and all those non-ASCII characters render as "???", making your messages
> difficult to read.  While it is possible to get mutt to recognize
> unicode charsets, you must use a supported terminal emulator, and screen
> isn't one of them, so that really isn't an option for me.
>
> Please don't take this as an attack or criticism, I'm just trying to
> offer a different perspective.  I certainly don't expect you to change
> your writing habits just to satisfy me, although it has been a bit
> refreshing lately to read your messages without stumbling over all the
> ??? characters (except, of course, in your signature :).

Interesting.  I wonder if there is work to add UTF-8 to 'screen'.  I do
not use it enough right now for it to be a problem for me, though I find
it weird that screen does not support it currently.  There are lots of
terminal applications (including emacs) that support UTF-8 quite nicely.

To me, anyway, it is a very good thing that things are moving over to
supporting UTF-8. If I were a capable programmer, I would fix screen,
simply because I make use of it when I am not at home, though I have not
had that situation come up recently.  :-)

    -- Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man!
fd0man at gmail.com or mike at trausch.us ? http://trausch.us/