[ale] OT: Bad Linspire....tsk tsk

KingBahamut gwosbahamut at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 09:34:25 EDT 2006

I happen to love to see Carmony (the CEO) quote in the forum thread linked
on distrowatch as saying

-- "We have what we call "express URL's" on our server, and one of these got
changed improperly, so some of you may have seen this. We fixed it. It
should go to freespire.org now."

and

"As for gaming DistroWatch, that wouldn't have worked because all the links
would have been coming from the same referring source, Linspire.com. We have
THOUSANDS of hits on that express URL every HOUR. IF that had in fact been
the case, we'd have shot WAY WAY WAY WAY up in the charts. We actually fell
yesterday, with an average of about 900 clicks. I'm sure DistroWatch has
been gamed plenty over the years and long since would have weeded out any
clicks from the same referring source, expecially when that source is the
company behind the distro."

Seems like hes just trying to pass the buck. I find it unlikely he didnt
know it was happening. Carmony's presence in the community (hes appeared up
and often in the Ubuntu community trying to push CNR). is pretty strong. I
have to believe he probably knew it was going on.