[ale] when is a zip file not a zip file

Brian D. Pitts bpitts at LearnLink.Emory.Edu
Wed Sep 6 15:10:40 EDT 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org> on Wednesday, September 6, 2006 at
12:04 PM -0500 wrote:
>That's odd.  I'm guessing that Fedora's definition of 'free' is meaning
>'open-source' rather than just free.  Unrar is free, and while it isn't
>open-source they do provide the source code, also for free.  I wouldn't know
>how to compile it myself nor figure out how to get the rpm off rpm.livna.org,
>but I can tell you where to find the source code as well as the rest of the
>free unrar downloads: <http://rarlabs.com/rar_add.htm>

UnRar is is provided at no cost but isn't released under a FSF-approved
license. Using the term freeware instead of free for software in this situation
is helpful because it reduces ambiguity about whether a program gives users the
freedoms discussed at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

I am impressed by the number of platforms for which rarlabs has produced
binaries. I wonder if anyone has actually downloaded unrar for OpenVMS/VAX, for
example.

-Brian