[ale] sendmail not automatically starting on boot

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Sep 5 14:19:42 EDT 2006

Some other step needed to start sendmail automatically after boot of
RHEL 3 machines?

OK this one mystifies me.

There is a working script /etc/init.d/sendmail.   "service sendmail
start" works fine.

There are links to /etc/init.d/sendmail from /etc/rc?.d/S**sendmail in
the various run levels including the one I'm at now.

/etc/sysconfig/sendmail does have DAEMON set to yes and QUEUE set to 1h.

There are no messages regarding sendmail in /var/log/messages (other
than the shutdown message).   It doesn't appear to have started and died
- just not to have started.   Unfortunately I can't reboot the server at
the moment so can't see if it shows an attempt to start sendmail and
state of such attempt.

By all the above though it appears sendmail should start yet after a
boot over the weekend it either didn't or died without explaining why as
it was not up when needed by a user this morning.   As noted "service
sendmail start" brings it up just fine.

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Unix Systems Administrator
DS Waters of America, LP