[ale] uptime, cool--New topic, keeping power on

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 5 09:55:35 EDT 2006

Hey guys,

I work in the electrical industry, and for a major UPS manufacturer. We
also make surge suppression equipment, and other appliances for power
distribution and control.

I have to warn you that a surge strip, isn't a surge strip, isn't a
surge strip. The things that you have to look at are:

#1) the number of Joules of suppression provided. MORE IS BETTER!!

#2) the reputation and reliability of the company providing the protection.

Don't go out and buy a surge strip that's on clearance just because it's
on clearance. Many of the available surge suppression devices don't meet
any kind of standard for their suppression ability, and use the cheapest
components that they can include that will "suppress" a surge. That
doesn't mean that they'll do anything to really protect your equipment,
only that they will separate you from your money.

Buy one of the name brand, highly rated, nationally certified surge
suppression strips with at least 1500 Joules of surge suppression.
Remember, MORE IS BETTER!!

Our Surge Suppression strips come with an equipment protection policy,
and if you meet the protection requirements of the plan, we will
reimburse the cost of replacement equipment up to the stated maximum
dollar amount in the case of a surge damage event. I have had to do this
before in my own home, when lightning struck a tree right outside my
office window.

If the equipment you want to protect isn't valuable, use whatever you
want. If it is important, spend the money to buy proper protection. Of
course, if it isn't valuable equipment, why waste the money to begin with?

Dan