[ale] uptime, cool--New topic, keeping power on

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sun Sep 3 16:59:13 EDT 2006

Thats really interesting.  Most of my experience has been with
mainframe equipment.  Some of my customers have large server farms
but I don't have any business with them.  I did pretend to be a sys
admin for a private school once but that was all low end desktop
hardware except for two dell desktop servers running DNS and Ex-
cough, cough-- change.  We turned them on and off everyday.  I
couldn't say if we had more or less HD or PS fallout than if we never
powered them off.

I have two "real"  1U servers and 4 or 5 desktop PC's at home that
stay up all the time.  They are all on cheap no name battery backup
units that I bought where ever I could get a deal.  They let me ride
out any power spike or four or five minute drop.  Out here in
Woodstock we have not had the power go out fro more than a minute in
many years.

I'd like to get a UPS that my linux boxes could talk to.  I would not
have to worry about them if I were not at home.

Mark