[ale] Need to mount Microdrive out of a Rio Carbon to linux...

Ned Williams nedj10 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 00:13:33 EST 2006

Well I got it reading. It took a bit of effort, so just in case anyone else
has this problem here is what I did.

recap: I have the microdrive out of a Rio carbon plugged into a USB reader,
as the carbon the drive came out met with the unforgiving concrete of the
Alpharetta Greenway.

In order to get to the data I followed the advice of group and swirled in
alittle knoppix just for fun

first I tried to run dosfsck against the drive, it complained and could not
do anything but DID report the FS was FAT32

next I tried testdisk(standard with Knoppix5,..yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Knoppix)

first I let it analyze the disk as a PC/Intel partition , it scanned read
the drive and partion size but said it could not find a partition.

next I went back to partition type, selected No Partition, TestDrive
IMMEDIATLY found the partition but couldnt do anything with it. Next I went
to the FS type list before searching and told it the partition was
fat32...the partition read. and asked what I wanted to do, I told it to
repair the boot sector, which it did but only after complaining the actual
size was different than the calculated expected size. I let it proceed, it
wrote the Boot Sector..and XMMS is playing the data just fine as we speak.

Thanks for the help
Ned