[ale] DVD & CD BLANK Command

Danny Cox DCox at icc.net
Fri Oct 27 13:23:02 EDT 2006

	Since we're discussing CD/DVD "trivia", here's something I came across.
The command to BLANK a CD or DVD is one command, with a HUGE timeout.
The BLANK FAST works in the same way.

	What this means is that, during the blanking time, the CPU isn't
involved at all, so you can run any intense CPU hog you wish without
harming the operation.

	As James pointed out, I try to be VERY conservative during the actual
write and fixation, Just In Case (TM).

	And yes, I'm a geek.  I just wanted one day to see how a drive actually
blanked the medium.  One command; go figure! ;-)

--
Daniel S. Cox
Internet Commerce Corporation