[ale] "pump -i eth0", now dysfunctional,... huh ?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 09:57:31 EDT 2006

1) `dpkg --purge pump`
2) Install http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/dhcp-client
(download the deb, copy it to the machine, and `dpkg --install
dhcp-client*.deb`)
3) Add this definition to /etc/network/interfaces if it is not already there:
          auto eth0
          iface eth0 inet dhcp
4) `ifdown eth0; ifup eth0`

If lsmod isn't showing a module loaded for your network card then it
is most likely built into the kernel itself. Or you can run `modconf`
and look through the list of available drivers and enable it if
necessary.

I can't remember why I stopped using pump, but I'm pretty sure it had
something to do with the 2.6 kernel series. In addition to that, the
kernel version has nothing to do with the version and/or branch of
Debian you are using. So saying ""testing", i.e. [2.6.17-2-k7]" is not
accurate; it tells what branch of Debian you are using, to those who
know you are using Debian, and the kernel package you have installed.

I have no idea what you are describing in the ifconfig output. You
would have to post it for me explain that.