[ale] Attn: Raylynn Knight

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 25 16:01:24 EDT 2006

Ray,

Thanks again for your attention.

I ran depmod yesterday after observing that modules.dep was empty. It was
filled
after running depmod. So, that had already been taken care of.

But still no de620.* anywhere.

'dmesg' makes what, to me, are some cryptic references to eth0 and after
shutting down
last night and rebooting today, mysteriously, ifconfig -a revealed-- for the
first time--
eth0 !

I find that I can properly configure it, eth0, and can ping out to
192.168.1.254, for example.

But I also find that I cannot get any name resolving even though I've set up
networking
exactly as I did under 2.4.17.x by means of linuxconf -> dhcp.

A continuing anomaly.. [that I think would finally resolve everything].. is
that....
    "pump -i eth0"     fails to work, which under 2.4.17.x got my NIC
[de620] going
in dhcp mode.

The error msgs:

    ping -f www.novell.com    err: -> "unknown host"
    pump -i eth0                     err:  -> "operation failed";
                                                 and "pump" also stops
'networking', requiring "networking restart" to enable
                                                 ping 192.168.1.254 to
resume functioning

So..................I'm now on the net but cannot put de620 in the dhcp
mode, so, cannot get any name resolution....so, I'm better off but
not there yet.

Any ideas  ?
Again, appreciatively,
Courtney