[ale] if 'dpkg' is removed, will this entirely disable all up-dating/grading & apt-getfunctions?

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 23 14:12:44 EDT 2006

Thank you.

The upgrade to testing is now underway.

I assume I will then be able to install whatever kernel I wish without the
previous barriers.

How do I implement 'firewire' capability  ?  I had it in 2.4.17 but don't
see it now as an option
under 'make menuconfig' and forgot how I did it previously    :-(  I have a
sizable external HD
that runs under firewire.

Any recommendations regarding which kernel to install  ?

Courtney