[ale] [OT] DECT 6.0 technology

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 22 17:42:39 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 17:11 -0400, Jerry Yu wrote:
> any ALEr has hands-on experience with DECT 6.0, as a
> developer/architect/end-user ? FCC allocated 1920 - 1930 MHz for UPCS.
> How much does it differ from a VoIP or VoWLAN?

UPCS is more likened to inner office IM then VoIP, IMHO. ;-)

VoIP/VoWLAN is packet'ized voice running over a network transport
protocols (IP/RTSP,etc)... for as many miles as the network allows.

DECT is localized digital communications over a transmitted frequency
range (think: cordless POTS phones).

UPCS has traditionally been stuff like personal walki-talkies and other
handheld, limited power, 2-way radios.

As I read about DECT 6.0, it is just a higher freq allocation that
allows for improved UPCS communications (i.e. better quality and more
user-functional stuff), one of those being running VoIP from the
cordless handsets to a base station possibly/probably to integrate with
an enterprise's VoIP infrastructure (CID,FWD,VM, etc).

There also seems to be some hope that DECT 6.0 improvements will allow
it to overtake some of the PTT (push-to-talk) capabilities that every
cellular carrier is trying to implement.  Obviously this would be local
to the office/area, unlike NexTel and others that allow for PTT across
their whole cellular network.

-Jim P.