[ale] Fw: HOW2 resolve aptitude conflict ?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 20:08:46 EDT 2006

`apt-get install xchat`

You can read the IRC primer at
http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/ircprimer.html . Basically, once you
connect to the irc.freenode.net server (just choose freenode in
xchat's server list) type `/join #debian` to join the Debian channel.
It really isn't too difficult to figure out; just make sure you ask a
well worded question.

The reason I am suggesting you ask there before compiling your own
kernel is to save you a lot of future headache. I can't really help
with the problem because, as I have mentioned, I don't usually install
the Debian kernel packages. But I am comfortable enough with Debian to
do that and deal with the consequences. Also, it doesn't make any
sense to me why you would be getting this error with the apt sources
you have specified. There might be something broken with that package
(and I don't have a K7 machine to test with); the folks in #debian
should know the answer to that question and know how to resolve the
conflict.

It isn't that that the issue is complex or I don't know Debian well.
Your problem is definitely resolvable. I've hit that sort of problem
plenty of times and can usually work some voodoo to get it resolved. I
just don't want to go through 500 different things over email and get
nowhere when the IRC channel will probably get it resolved quickly.

That being said, if you want to try one more thing, do this. Post the
results of `dpkg -l | grep initrd` and `dpkg -l | grep kernel`.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59