[ale] Ubuntu for developers?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Oct 20 21:27:00 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 20:48 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 19:53 -0400, David Corbin wrote:
> > Easy to say, hard to do.  We've got 500 + systems that run with 4.0.16
> > mysql.
> > Using newer versions is dangerous, because code that works on the
> > developers
> > box might not work in the field.

> Agreed.  This is the reason I still deploy servers with FC2.  It is
> better to have it work and not deal with support issues.  I'm moving to
> FC4 just have not finished testing.

	Then you should probably be on RHEL or CentOS and not on Fedora at all.
I have systems on both (plus others).  You want stable environments, I
would deploy CentOS unless you need some of the proprietary stuff in
RHEL.  CentOS has the added advantage of updating through yum and some
of my systems have smoothly migrated from 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4 all via yum.
You want to ride the horse with all the latest bells in whistles, then
you go with Fedora Core.  If you are still deploying FC2, you've got
your priorities miswired.  You're now way past end of life where even
security fixes are iffy...  You want a system supported that far out,
don't use FC.

	Moving to FC4 is silly at this point.  FC4 is now legacy.  What, you
only buy something once the manufacturer discontinues support for it?
You'd be better off finding something with a more compatible life cycle.

	Mike