[ale] Minimal installs on low-end hardware (was RE: [semi-OT] A local lurker

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Oct 19 14:06:50 EDT 2006

Gentoo is rather hardware-age-agnostic. You can get around much if not
all of the compiling many people associate with Gentoo of the past if
you do a networkless installation. One problem you may run into,
however, is that the Portage system and its data files can eat up a
significant amount of space if your only disk drive is in the 2-8GB
range. A second drive for /usr/portage would help out a lot.

- Jeff