[ale] Oops - Want to rearrange two partitions

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 19 13:46:33 EDT 2006

ALErs -

I just installed SuSE-10.1 and set up a 1GB partition for /var. From the
first login I see that /var is about 35% full, which seems much too close
for comfort down the road.

My reason for fixing size of /var was to ensure that it not grow and lock
the file system.

The next-lower partition is /home at /dev/hdb7, with 10GB.
The next-higher partition is /opt at /dev/hdb9, with 10GB.

I would like to give up 1GB of /home or /var and add it to /var at
/dev/hdb8. (All three are logical partitions within the same extended
partition.)

If this was all a bad idea in the first place, I guess I could move /var
into one of the other partitions, but then I will want to recover its
space to a neighboring partition.

How might I resize partitions to move an extra GB from into /var without
trashing my installation, else move it and recover its space?

TIA.
 - Mills