[ale] Minimal installs on low-end hardware (was RE: [semi-OT] A local lurker de-lurks.)

Pope jonnyX jonnyx at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 19 12:02:00 EDT 2006

On Oct 19, 2006 8:34 AM, "Watson, Keith R." <krwatson at cc.gatech.edu> spaketh'd unto us thusly:

>I'm sorry to see you go but you have to follow your star (so to speak).

Heh, funny you should use that phrase. If the funding comes through, I'll have a very interesting job to talk about in a couple of months. NASA & the Air Force aren't the only folks in the rocket business these days...

>It has been fun running into you at conferences.

I'll still be around at cons, at least until they all wise up and file restraining orders. I'll continue running the space/science/skepticism programming at DragonCon, PhreakNIC will always be my baby (despite tuning it over to other people when I moved in 2001), 2600's H.O.P.E. gives me yet another excuse to visit NYC, and I'm thinking of starting a combo tech/gaming/social/weekend-long-installfest type con in Tampa ("Hacking on the Beach" is the working title, or possibly "Beach Party Apocalypse" should those pesky hurricanes disrupt things too much). When is Atlanta going to host a tech con that doesn't viciously self-destruct after two or three years?

OK, the actual Linux (and/or BSD) related question:

Like most geeks, my non-techie friends give me computer-related things that are "obsolete" (hence my need to purge before moving; alas, the hardware was all snagged in under 24hrs, else I'd offer it here). I recently acquired one of the old "butterfly keyboard" IBM Thinkpads; it's a model 701c with a 486DX4/100 CPU, 24M RAM, 2G hdd, lots of extra goodies. I'm thinking maybe a glorified terminal for a Cisco-2511 hooked up to my routers & switches and/or maybe a config "server". What minimal distros would y'all recommend, and why?

--

||  ___\ \/ /  ||  comments/criticisms/death-threats may be sent to:   ||
||  \__ \  /   ||             jonnyx at mindspring dot com             ||