[ale] Voice Modems

Brian D. Pitts bpitts at LearnLink.Emory.Edu
Mon Oct 16 15:06:35 EDT 2006

Christopher Fowler writes:
>you need decent hardware to do this right.

Alright. It's probably not an option I can pursue then.

James P Kinny III writes:
>Um. You are looking at plonking some multiport serial cards into a
>powermac. So far, every card I have tried in my G4 won't work. The pin
>outs on the mac stuff is "special".

Thanks for the warning. I'm surprised to hear it though; I've put the same
Broadcom GbE adapters and LSI HBAs in G4 powermacs and Dells before with no
problem.

Brian Macleod writes:
>Grab a couple of X100P cards from x100p.com (the clones on
>eBay are known to have echo problems), for ~$37, and download trixbox
>(www.trixbox.org).

I'd shied away from asterisk because I thought the FXO hardware was out of my
price range. Thanks for showing me otherwise. I'll definitely look in to this.

I'm guessing from a quick read of
http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20fax that there is no good
solution for receiving faxes on a X100P? I currently have a headless iMac G4
running hylafax that I would love to replace; it's much too cute
(http://tinyurl.com/yhoezm) to hide in a server closet.

-Brian