[ale] good website for novice learning Java ?

Jim Sculley niceguyj at comcast.net
Thu Oct 12 21:05:37 EDT 2006

Courtney Thomas wrote:
> I know Sun has a ton of stuff re:java but I'm lookin' for
> a beginner's site that is more navigable and transparent.

Hmmmm.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/information/download.html

I've been writing Java for various (small) work and largish hobby
projects for about 7 years.  I am self-taught.  I started with the above
tutorial and a single book 'Java 1.1 - The Complete Reference' from the
Osborne press.  They've released newer versions since then of course.
USENET and the Java Forums at http://forum.java.sun.com/index.jspa are
an invaluable resource for getting questions answered.  In seven years
I've probably had less than 10 questions and/or problems that had not
been asked and answered by others, many times over.

Whether or not Java is right for you depends on what you are trying to
accomplish.  I've dabbled in just about every aspect of it with the
exception of the full-on enterprise (EJB) stuff.  I haven't found
anything I couldn't do with it.

Jim Sculley