[ale] good website for novice learning Java ?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 15:25:30 EDT 2006

Heh. One of the primary reasons I took the gig I'm on now was the chance to
use python in the real trenches
(Plus of course it's on the subway..). It's very khoul & fun to code in --
I've also got a recreational site done in it
(  http://tomshiro.org/sudoku-grinder/html/ ).  I've written enough java to
know I don't like it. When I have to use the JVM I write jython.

I once told a boss of mine about Phil Greenspun's comment that 'Java is the
SUV of programming tools'
(
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/philg/2003/09/20/java-is-the-suv-of-programming-tools/).
He indignantly responded that he drove an SUV, and they were wonderful
things. Kind of missed the point, I thought.

-- CHS