[ale] Bellsouth again.

Ken Alexander kenry at alexandertech.biz
Tue Oct 10 18:56:34 EDT 2006

I find it hard to believe, but maybe it's true. BS told me I had to have an active POTS line when I went to them for DSL service.

I usually try to avoid BS like a plague, but since moving here from FL in June, I chose them for my DSL and wireless. Basically I had to pay $20/mon for a basic phone line with no bells or whistles ($15 + $5/mon to be unlisted ), plus the cost of DSL. I was thoroughly disgusted soon after because my phone rang 5-10 times a day, and I hadn't given anyone the number. After 2 disappointing encounters with their customer service, I knew the relationship was over. I already had Directv and Broadvoice for my VOIP provider. I contacted Comcast to purchase their broadband for non-cable customers expecting to pay $50/month (almost the same cost as BS DSL plus the phone line I didn't need/use). The sales agent talked me into getting basic cable since the cost for non-cable subscribers broadband was about the same as the cost for broadband($33 intro price) with basic cable( $15).  I don't know if they made a mistake, but the cable I get for $15/mon is a lot more than I expected. So I've decided to drop Directv after November. For the months following, I will pay about $75/month for cable tv, broadband, and unlimited VOIP to 21 countries. After my introductory period, that will go up about $15/mon. The taxes/extra charges that come with a BS phone line alone are significant enough to make one look for other options. The tax on my first cable statement is $.90 and for VOIP is 3.50. I'd definitely be interested in knowing if BS sells you DSL without phone service....