[ale] Building the perfect Linux end-user systems.

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 8 19:54:00 EDT 2006

I have to agree with you, Mike. I am running Ubuntu on an IBM laptop,
and everything worked fine for me first time out. I did have to reload
the wifi drivers, but that was partially my fault, I think.

At any rate, I've never had any distribution before I found Ubuntu
Breezy that would load on my laptop and just work. I have loaded and
used a variety of Linux distributions over the last 10 years (including
the first Linux distro I ever found that loaded from (if memory serves
me) four floppies). I went through all of the previous "premier"
distributions from Red Hat to SUSe, and from Mandrake to Xandros.

All of the were good, but none was at a point where i could do real
world, day-to-day work on them, and allow me to have only one
distribution to work with. I have a network in my home that always has
at least 8 computers on it, and usually I'm working 10-12 boxes. I had
no less that 5 Windoze computers on that network due to the fact than
many of the services that were required weren't convenient or even
available on a Linux box. (Think Windoze specific applications.)

I had real problems with all of the RPM based distros, and never was
really happy with Yast. When I first discovered Debian, I really liked
the apt utility, and was very comfortable with it. I just needed a
usable user interface.

When I discovered Ubuntu (Breezy), I felt like this distro had real
possibilities, and when Dapper was released, I felt like I could make a
real world use of the interface, and the OS. About this time, Windoze
totally crashed on my laptop, and after doing a restore and reloading
everything, two weeks later it did the same thing. I'd had it!

Dapper was loaded as the only OS on my laptop, and I haven't looked
back. At this point in time, I have one Windows server that I have to
keep running for company compatibility, One XP box that I have to use
for the company's interface, my wife's XP desktop (I haven't convinced
her to come away from the dark side yet), and everything else on my
network is an Ubuntu box.

The ONLY thing I've had any issue with getting to work right out of the
box is the wifi on my laptop, which I had to reload once to make it
work. Otherwise, I'm now at 11 for 11 installs with no issues.

Dan