[ale] MythTV Hardware

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 5 17:11:41 EDT 2006

usmpiano at aim.com wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> I've been interested in building one of these and I know I need to go
> buy the TV card before I go any further. The machine is a P4 1.8 GHz
> with 512 RAM. Well that work ok for the most part?
>

> I just want to be able to watch live TV mostly.

That should be sufficient for an SDTV setup.  Mine is running on an
Athlon 1800 XP, I can even watch HD if I enable xvmc.  I don't have an
HD source, so I've only been able to play clips.
You might initially only want to watch live TV, but will soon realize
that it's not the best way to use a pvr.  Sure pausing live tv is cool
and all, but when you record it, you can pause, ffwd, etc., allowing you
to watch a 1hr show in 45 minutes.  There are means of watching tv even
faster in mythtv by actually watching the show at a slightly higher
rate.  1.2x for example.

Calvin