[ale] MythTV and DVRs. (was: Re: large file downloads & Comcast- Now OT- Tivo & House)

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 16:10:31 EDT 2006

Paul Cartwright wrote:

> I missed the last MythTV build-in, I wish you would have one on the NE
> side of Atlanta, even Athens !!

I did, too, though simply because I did not want to have my son be a
whiny little son of a geek while there.  :-P  Hopefully, the next time
one comes up, it will be at a date/time/place that I can make it to... I
know next to nothing about MythTV, other than it would enable us to make
permanent recordings of our favorite shows so that we didn't have to
worry (so much) about cleaning up the DVR.

Which reminds me... I need to get to Wal*Mart and get a double-sided
USB-A cable so that I can see if I can somehow convince my Linux box to
get programs from the DVR.  Once in awhile we find a documentary or
movie or whatever that we would like to record, and I don't feel very
much like spending $150 that we don't have for a DVD recorder that would
make our setup hellish to use.  If we can save things from the DVR,
though, we could keep programs on DVD for reference and not have to
worry about the DVR's hard drive filling up (which it does frequently,
here).

If anyone happens to have any information on the Motorola DVRs that
ComCast hands out, and how to move programs to external permanent
storage, such as what it would take to get my Linux box to download the
programs from it and burn to DVD... :-)

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> - Jabber: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand freedom: Use open and free protocols, standards, and software.