[ale] potential new home for ALE website, philosophy, and a proposal

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 11:44:47 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 09:45 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> I don't have mailman installed yet (like that's hard...).

I hope you're kidding when you say that. ;-)

A few things to keep in mind:

The MTA is harder to setup, properly that is.  A noutbound queue needs
to be established so that Mailman doesn't get blocked while trying to
send 1000+ emails.  On the inbound side, I would recommend postfix as it
integrates well with Mailman via alias and virtual lookup files (which
are nice if you are adding/deleting lists a lot).

You might want to apply the htdig integration and daily mbox patches
listed here:
   http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mm/index.html
They make list mgmt/use much easier

Also, if you want to save some bandwidth and staunch the spread of email
addresses, you can read this note about removing the .mbox/.txt files
from public access (leaving only the .html files accessable):
  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.066.htp

You may also want the password prompt on the admin login page to get the
focus (so that you don't have to click it first)
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1447948&group_id=103&atid=300103

Good luck,

-Jim P.