[ale] LOPSA - League of Professional System Administrators.

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Oct 3 14:42:43 EDT 2006

AUUG is loosely affiliated with SAGE.  However it has no formal
membership or dues required.   It actually has its own list but for some
reason that has never had much traffic (perhaps due to the different
UNIX variants having lists of their own such as ITRC and Dutchworks for
HP-UX).

IMHO It isn't that there is a Sysadmin list void.  It is that there is
an enterprise Linux list void.  The issue seems to be the evolving
nature of Linux.  For a long time it was not used for enterprise
purposes (and even desktop use was typically limited in organizations to
UNIX admins and other techno-geeks and outside organizations by
hobbyists and those same techno-geeks.  Now it's starting to fill
business niches in enterprises so more and more "professional" admins
are using it in business.  They'd like to have a place to pose questions
regarding their enterprise use yet not wade through the hobbyists/newbie
posts.

As I've said before - I'm a professional admin and haven't really been
bothered by such posts.  I rather enjoy them especially when I can
provide answers.  What I do find a dearth of however is enterprise
posts.  I've noted that although I've responded to many posts on
LinuxQuestions and even a few here I've never really gotten responses to
posts I've made that regarded enterprise usage.  This isn't to say I
haven't learned things from both sources but rather than specific
questions involving complex setups that probably have been encountered
by other admins go unanswered perhaps because they stay away from
general Linux lists.

What's worse is that even the hardware vendors such as Dell that say
they "support Linux" don't really have good support for Linux.   It
often leaves me with either spending lots of time figuring out a
solution or abandoning the idea of obtaining one.