[ale] "New" laptop with Ubuntu

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Oct 3 11:48:24 EDT 2006

> setter upper/wizard, I'm finding Ubuntu to be a really nice
> desktop distribution. Lean, clean, and ready to get to work.

That summed my experience with it nicely, and am becoming more and more of
a convert as I get used to it, and customize it a bit for my odder needs.

That fact that I'm VERY happy using it on a older 600mhz Sony Laptop
(it has a nice bright screen), for day to day use (mostly X-Term and a Web
Browser) says a lot.

The hardest part is getting used to the .deb's/apt/aptitude/wajig/.. ways
of doing things, as opposed to .rpm's.

----

The amazing thing is how I'm seeing "normal" people complain about very
minor interface issues with Ubuntu/Gnome.. It's about all they have to
complain about. :) I see this as a big wonderful leap in the end-user
readiness of Linux.