[ale] Linux/cd sound woes.

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Oct 2 13:55:52 EDT 2006

I'm running Suse 9.3.  When I plug an audio cd into the machine, an
instance of KsCD pops up and seems to indicate that it is playing the
tunes, however I don't hear a thing.  KaMix shows the volume at 96% and
I know generally audio is working 'cause I get the alert sounds when the
system isn't happy, like taDa!  I can also cat .wav files to /dev/dsp.

Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this beast?  I'm running
another system on Debian with the same symptoms except that catting .wav
files to /dev/dsp generates the strangest modulated white noise I've
ever heard!

Thanks,
Jim.