[ale] External USB drive is detected as /dev/sda and /dev/sda1

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 20:16:35 EDT 2006

Justin Haygood wrote:
> Chris Paquin wrote:
>>> Does anyone know why this would do this? This is an external drive in an
>>> enclosure. I plug it in and bam, two icons appear on my fedora desktop
>>> for the new media device. One obviously is useless but cannot be deleted
>>> or moved to trash as I get the error "failed to mount device".
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to fix this?

> /dev/sda --> drive itself
> /dev/sda1 --> partition on that drive

The really curious thing is, why is the /dev/sda icon showing up on the
desktop?  Since the device contains a partition table, that means that
the root device itself does not contain a valid filesystem... if instead
of a partition table, the device had a filesystem on the entire device,
that would be different; but, IIRC, USB devices do not do that because
some operating systems puke without a partition table.

	- Mike

--
"Fate: Protects fools, children, and ships called /Enterprise/."
                               -- William T. Riker, ST:TNG, "Contagion"