[ale] PHP, MySQL, WordPress

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 01:19:45 EDT 2006

Jason Day wrote:
> I'm trying to get WordPress working on a Debian/Sarge box.  I installed
> MySQL and PHP4, then followed the instructions for installing wordpress.
> That worked.  I putzed around in the WordPress admin pages for a bit,
> and added two users.  Then I clicked the "View Site" link , and firefox
> popped up a dialog box that said something to the effect that I was
> trying to download index.php, which is a ~ file, and what do I want to
> do with it.  So I appended index.php to the URL in the address bar, and
> got this message:

It *sounds* like your Apache server is not knowing how to handle PHP files.

Check first to see that you have the following two lines somewhere in
your Apache configuration:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

If you do, then see if you have a LoadModule and an AddModule line in
your Apache configuration for PHP.

You may have to grep files in your Apache config directory and all of
its subdirectories, if you have a newer version of Apache, or a
distribution that is 'include' friendly on all of its config files.  I
am not sure if Debian is such a distribution.

If you have all of this in line, then I am not sure.  Just my 2?.  Hope
it's helpful.  :)

	-- Mike

--
"Fate: Protects fools, children, and ships called /Enterprise/."
                               -- William T. Riker, ST:TNG, "Contagion"