[ale] acpi + hibernation + network interfaces + CPU utilization + Ubuntu Edgy = problems

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 22 20:56:44 EST 2006

I've got Edgy installed on my laptop (T60p) and for the most part things
work well.  However, there are a few hibernation/restore (via acpid)
problems that I need some additional assistance with as I can't seem to
locate any log errors that identify a problem.

First, coming out of hibernation, the wireless network interface
(ipw3945) exists but sometimes won't become active.  That is
NetworkManager doesn't recognize it, and manually setting it has no
affect.  However, "ifconfig -a" clearly shows the interface.

Secondly, occasionally entering hibernation (closing laptop lid) the
memory never swaps to disk and I ca re-open the lid and get an X session
back.  Looking at the process table I can see the acpi hibernate scripts
still running but I don't see any reason in /var/log/acpid to indicate
why the system never successfully hibernated.  Kill -9 has no affect on
anything, and shutting down (or trying to reboot) results in the system
eventually hanging in some unknown (and blank) state... but still
powered on.

Any ideas on how to debug these issues?

Tia,

-Jim P.