[ale] HOW2 force the installation of a utililty that is "out of version" in Debian ?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:15:08 EST 2006

Courtney Thomas wrote:
> See: www.debian.org for the latest ... whatever...
>
> I'm using kernel 2.6.17-2-k7, which was installed with "aptitude", which
> leads to the question...how do I now 'compile' a new kernel,
> i.e. I assume I now have to download the applicable source and find out how
> to replace the running kernel with a newly compiled one,
> since the currently running kernel was an "upgrade" from 2.4.17 and not
> compiled from source.
>
> Think I'll never go down this road again, i.e. missing necessary modules, no
> kernel, unknown other potential quirks to be discovered, meanwhile the old
> kernel that worked well, is now gone.  :-(
>
> Courtney

well the good news (tm) is that debian has a nice way of adding modules
so you won't have to recompile the kernel unless you want to.

you can use module-assistant for the modules and make-kpkg for the kernels.

also there is the Debian Way (tm) to recompile the kernel if you wish to
go that route.  and both are relatively painless.

bear with me and i'll see what i can do to help you out.  holidays could
be slow hearing from me though... sorry.