[ale] HOW2 force the installation of a utililty that is "out of version" in Debian ?

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 20 19:43:02 EST 2006

Preston,

More fully, I should have included the output from
    apt-get install pump

which is:
    "Package pump is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is
available
    only from another source.
    Package pump has no installation candidate."

Also apt-get tries to access the sources.list but of course can't since my
NIC is inoperable without pump.

And again, I've put pump [previously functional Woody version] in
/var/cache/apt/archives before running
     apt-get install pump

Gratefully,
Courtney