[ale] HOW2 force the installation of a utililty that is "out of version" in Debian ?

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 20 18:37:02 EST 2006

I have an older piece of hardware that is only functional by means of a
"Woody" utility, though I'm running "testing".

The powers that be... decided to discontinue support for this this NIC  :-)

The utility is "jump" if it matters.

I've tried the "testing" included version and it doesn't work, though it
did work under "Woody".

The reason it's necessary is that my motherboard slots are used up and
it's a parallel port NIC, so as you can see, I'm locked off the internet
'til this previous working version is installed, as the NIC won't
properly install without it. Or, if it will, I don't know how to do it
and was successful using jump under Woody.

But when I: apt-get -f install jump, I just get a complaint
that..."package pump is not available", though it is in
/var/cache/apt/archives as jump-0.8.3-3_i386.deb.

Guidance appreciated,

Courtney