[ale] (OT) Paperless environment

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 15:15:30 EST 2006

Preston,

If you have $100K+ to make this happen we sell a custom high-end doc.
mgmt. system that I think does everything you want.  It is PDF based
and allows workflows to be built into it.  We typically sell it into
Insurance firms etc. that move a lot of paperless info around.  I'm
not all that familiar with it, but if your interested I could have our
lead developer on that product give you a call.

Greg

On 11/17/06, Preston Boyington <preston.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is interest in my workplace in pursuing a "paperless" (or rather
> "less paper") work flow.
>
> The idea is as such:
> New drawings and other material would be published to PDF.  These PDF
> files would be "locked" in that they would not be able to be printed
> (although they could be viewed) without some type of "digital signature"
> (perhaps some type of watermark or stamp).  Only a select few would be
> able to "sign" the documents for release, and after their being "signed"
> they could then be printed by anyone.
>
> I imagine the flow to look something like this:
>
> new document -> unsigned, viewable (non-printable) pdf -> pdf gets
> checked and is APPENDED with a "signature" -> appended pdf is now
> available to be printed.
>
> I am currently researching methods, pitfalls, and maybe some success
> stories.  As always I would like some feedback, ideas, etc. about this.
>
> Linux centric is preferred, but M$ solutions are welcome also.

Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group
Forensics for the 21st Century