[ale] Donated computers

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 09:45:07 EST 2006

Since this looks like it is strictly on a LAN, you could just set up
the machine to XDMCP to one bigger box on a network.  The performance
is real good, I did this once with a PI 133 laptop with acceptable
results.

By themselves, these boxes could run XFCE pretty well.  The simplicity
of XFCE is nice since you can very easily setup the menu bar for quick
access to whatever educational software they use.

The linux route will be much easier to admin than a bunch of win98
machines.  Will these hit the internet?  If so Win98 will become
infested in no time.  Admin costs can outweigh the hardware costs in
no time!

And I didn't even know that daycare's had computers.  I guess my 2
year old is behind the times already.

-Matt

On 11/17/06, Jim <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> You might talk with the pto/pta about funding additional hardware too.
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > I'm thinking real hard about proposing the K12LTSP project.  If they
> > can get around the fact that it ain't windoze and make it work like
> > others have then it might be successful.
> >
> > The do have network capability.  I may have to buy them a cheap switch
> > at Fry's but these machines do have network cards and they have a small
> > network.
> >
> > I'm going to look into using Edubuntu in LTSP.  See if it has a setup
> > for LTSP.
> > On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 20:03 -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

Don't be a pioneeer.  A pioneer is the guy with the arrow through his
chest.  -- John J. Rakos