[ale] Dual boot setup

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Mon Nov 13 12:39:09 EST 2006

On 11/12/2006 at 11:27 PM Jim Popovitch wrote:

>does win2k have to be in the first partition.  I'd as Microsoft, but....

No, it doesn't.  What you need to edit is the boot.ini file to point to the right location.  But make sure that you format the partition as FAT32 because editing anything that is NTFS is a pain in the arse.  If you want NTFS, you can easily convert the partition to it once you have the system running correctly.

OTOH, I don't recommend this method due to the likelihood of problems, particularly of MBR issues, and instead encourage you to resize your Linux installation to a size you want (after you back it up, of course), then backup that resized installation.  Use the Windows disk to install W2K, allowing it to partition and format the disk as you want it.  Once the installation is complete, then restore your Linux to the remainder of the disk.  Lastly, you'll likely have to use a boot manager of your choice to enable the dual-booting.

Sadly, I still know very little about Linux, but that's the primary reason I'm here.  Maybe one day the primary reason will be to help others in areas of Linux.  ;c)

Cheers,
Robert~