[ale] MisterHouse

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 15:21:56 EST 2006

Sounds like it can't open com1.

What is plugged in to the serial port? Have you got privilege to open the
com1 device from the user you're running MrHouse from? What does
setserial(8) report? Is this the first time you've tried to use a serial
port from this machine? If so, are you sure that setserial(8) has run at
some point during startup? How come it's looking for a "com1" device when on
a linux system it should be looking for "/dev/ttyS0"  or "/dev/cua0" ? Do
you need to set up a softlink in dev called "com1" pointing to cua0 or
ttyS0?  Are these devices properly set up in /dev atall?

I'm not familiar with MrHouse (although I've used some X10 stuff under
linux), but it seems like this should be amenable to  standard linux serial
port troubleshooting (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html ) .  If I were
you, I'd probably look at MrHouse's configuration first, though. That com1
thing might be a MrHouse idiom for "the serial port", defined as a linux
device. Or it might be that the config line itself is wrong-o.

That's the help I can give you from your message.

-- CHS