[ale] OT: Electrician needed

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 12:45:20 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 12:25 -0500, George Carless wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:28:39AM -0500, H P Ladds wrote:
> > How was the service -- still good?
> >
> > When I've used them they were: careful not to track dirt around the house,
> > courteous, quoted price was the actual price, etc.
>
> Yep, same.  The only thing I would say is that they tried quite hard to
> sell me on a master breaker switch for the breaker box (not sure of
> exact terminology), which had something like a $280 sticker price; I
> passed for the time being (anyone have any thoughts on whether this is
> something worth bothering with?) -- but otherwise they were as you
> describe, and I'd not hesitate to recommend them.

A "master breaker" switch probably allows an electrician to cut off the
incoming power to the house at a point before it reaches the breaker
box.  In most homes you have to get the power company on-site to pull
the power meter in order to disconnect power to the breaker box.  I
doubt you need this sort of thing unless you are planning on replacing
your breaker box.

-Jim P.