[ale] Xwindows on DOS

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 9 21:07:12 EST 2006

Chris -

Around 1994-5 I used an X-server on DOS. I don't remember the vendor, but
I think it was an Italian company. Their 30-day version was free and for a
fee they sold a key that kept it going indefinitely. It gave me an X11
session on our SunOS box from my office. IIRC the window manager ran on
the host, which made the sessions a bit fragile.

I did a bit of pre-Google searching and it was the best I came up with.
Nothing that really worked on DOS seemed to be free, though there were
some contenders for Win-3.x and a colleague ran remote X-sessions from our
Sun happily on a Macintosh. I think some version of Hummingbird was also
available, but I could mis-remember that.

It doesn't sound like this type of product would help you, but let me know
if you want me to see if it's still among my old disks. (You _do_ have a
5.25" drive, don't you?)

Shortly after I started with Linux and XFree (running Mootif &8-) and
never looked back. Since I had found a very cheap Motif distribution for
our Sun, I then had the same desktop on Linux that our project was using.

 - Mills