[ale] safely stop external USB drive from Linux

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 13:46:16 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 09:42 -0500, Jerry Yu wrote:

> does anyone know of any magic USB utility command to use under Linux
> to 'safely' stop an external USB hard drive (regular 3.5" drive)?
> On my linux desktop, I used to just 'umount /media/biggie && modprobe
> -r usb-mass-storage' or alike.  RHAS 4 (CentOS 4).

I just use umount to unmount the filesystem on the device; that forces
the filesystem to be sync'd, and then the filesystem is unmounted.  So
long as all of the filesystems on the devices are unmounted, it should
be fine.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
   Jabber IM: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!