[ale] Dual-headed displays and X.org...

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 14:32:02 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 14:20 -0500, Dow_Hurst wrote:

> Ati or Nvidia? Twinview under Nvidia usually makes this easy to setup.
>  I don't know much about ATI settings.  Xinerama settings would be
>  where to look when trying to unify the desktop if you don't use
>  Twinview.  Newer versions of Xorg have Xinerama enabled for OpenGL
>  acceleration.  I don't think older versions will allow this.  Maybe
>  you need Xorg 8.6.9?  Anyone comment on this? Thanks, Dow

Neither, actually.  The driver that this system uses is i810 for X11,
and i915 for the kernel (see below).  Also, I am running Ubuntu Edgy
Eft, see the version information for X11, also below.

My searching around hasn't helped very much, it seems that there are a
lot of posts that say "how to" for particular configuraitons, but don't
give a nice overview of it.  I will search for the TwinView/Xinerama
that you mentioned, maybe I will even be able to fix the crashing
problem.  I don't want to have to disable 3D accelleration, but I have
considered that to be a possibility if I can't get it to work?after all,
this is my primary system and I need it for work more than play.  It
will just slow some of the rendering down, but I could live with that.

    -- Mike

fd0man at pepper:~[0]$ lsmod | grep '^i[9n]'
i915                   21632  2
intel_agp              26012  1
fd0man at pepper:~[0]$

fd0man at pepper:~[0]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf|grep Driver|grep 810
        Driver          "i810"
fd0man at pepper:~[0]$

fd0man at pepper:~[0]$ dmesg|grep agp
[17179581.520000] Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
[17179581.544000] agpgart: Detected an Intel 915GM Chipset.
[17179581.544000] agpgart: Detected 7932K stolen memory.
[17179581.564000] agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xb0000000
fd0man at pepper:~[0]$

fd0man at pepper:~[0]$ xdpyinfo|head -5
name of display:    :0.0