[ale] Dual-headed displays and X.org...

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 14:09:26 EST 2006

I've got a small problem trying to use my laptop in a dual-headed
configuration.  First off:  It works in Windows.  It (almost) works
under Linux, but there are a few issues:

* The desktops are separate and do not function as one.  Is there a way
to make them function as one unified desktop?
* Any application that makes use of OpenGL (which apparently includes
OpenOffice.org?) does not run; in fact, when in a dual-headed
configuration, the X server dies completely and will not restart without
a reboot of the entire system (subsequent attempts to start it reliably
segfault, with the exact same error message; the segfault goes away once
the system has been rebooted, and never appears at all when in a
single-headed configuration).

Any ideas?  I would like to be able to make use of the 17" external
monitor that I have available for working while I use the laptop's
screen for holding documentation and reference and the like.

    Thanks a million!
    Mike