[ale] Laptops and Linux

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 11:13:32 EST 2006

I've got an Acer with a core Duo running Ubuntu.  I've got virtualy
every feature of the laptop: Sound, accelerated 3d, hibernate, cpu
scaling, wireless working without too much trouble.  Never bothered
with the camera since I have no real use for it.

Couldn't get Fedora to run worth a damn on it, go figure.

Dual core is nice since you can better multitask.  The Core Duos are
known for running on the warm side though.  The Acer is a pretty well
build laptop for the price, I would buy it again.

-Matt

On 11/3/06, James Taylor <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> wrote:
> With those hardware specs, you shouldn't be having that kind of an issue.
> With the exception of RAM, it's way overkill for running three little apps.
> And really, unless you're running several VMs, 512MB ought to be plenty.
>
> There's got to be something else going on.
>
> As far as specs go.  I tried a couple of turion notebooks recently, and I had problems with the disk drivers after the install wen doing the initial boot into the 64-bit load.  The install worked to that point, I believe, because it uses 32-bit code.
>
> This was on a Compaq and two different HP models (their super media models, I don't remember the no.s)
>
> The core 2 duo on my Sony Vaio and a clients Dell is very quick.
>
> -jt
>

> James Taylor
> The East Cobb Group, Inc.
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
> http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>   I'm looking to get another laptop.  Right now I'm on a Lenovo (IBM) 3000
> N100.  Core 2 Duo, 512Meg Ram, 1.66Ghz and it's killing me.  Open Firefox,
> Amarok and an OpenOffice Spreadsheet and I can grind it to a halt for 10
> minutes.
>
>   I don't want to spend 2k, but any off the top of your head
> suggestions?  Any opinions of an AMD Turion vs P4?  Duo or no, etc?
> Yes, it will need to run Linux, Debian or Ubuntu.
>
> Robert
>

> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris                     | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
>                                          @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
> DISCLAIMER:
>       These are MY OPINIONS             With Dreams To Be A King,
>        ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
>        no-one else.                       - Manowar

Don't be a pioneeer.  A pioneer is the guy with the arrow through his
chest.  -- John J. Rakos