[ale] Internet connectivity question

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 12:07:32 EST 2006

All,

We just moved our Internet connection to a T-1 from CBeyond last week.

So far it has been a good experience, but one of our people has a
HTTP/FTP/SMTP/POP site he uses (dmares.com).  He tells me it is fast
and responsive from his house but it has unusable from here since we
moved to CBeyond.

>From here (via CBeyond):
HTTP (port 80) access seems to be fine.

FTP (port 21) and SMTP (port 25) are very slow.

POP (port 109) seems to be non-functional.

As a test I just did:
time telnet dmares.com 25
quit

It took 1 min 25 seconds to complete, but it did complete.

The same command going to port 21 took 2 min 30 sec to complete.

port 109 is not even connecting prior to the timeout.

Can someone confirm it is more responsive via other ISPs.

Also anybody have any idea how I would try to get this resolved with
CBeyond?  I have a hard time thinking they are throttling traffic to
this little used domain, but maybe the whole class C?  I'm really
perplexed that it is so non-responsive.

Thanks
Greg
--